What would be YOUR favorite "angle(s)" be for enjoying a more plant-based way of eating?
1. Heart disease/stroke prevention: Bill Clinton, T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D. in The China Study, and Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr., MD (surgeon/former Olympic rower) in Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, understand the safety in going vegan. The American Journal of Epidemiology shows a 29 percent increase in mortality risk for those eating red meat.
2. For the animals: Going vegan saves an average of almost 200 animal lives per year -- and so much suffering in overcrowded spaces, standing in their own filth, merely existing rather than living until the slaughterhouse ends a miserable experience. Every vegan meal grows compassion!
3. Diabetes and cancer prevention: National Institutes of Health (NIH) states that vegan diets are best for diabetes prevention and management, also improving control of weight, glycemia, and cardiovascular risk. The National Cancer Institute & American Association of Cancer Research state that vegan diets reduce our risk of cancer, dramatically and swiftly. Fruits and veggies contain vital vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants and phytochemicals that can protect our bodies against cancer growth.
4. For the planet: UN environmental scientists showed in 2009 that consuming livestock products account for at least 51% of human-caused greenhouse gas emissions! Animal protein takes over 6 times the fossil fuel to raise than grain, and raising animals for food is creating topsoil erosion at crisis levels.
5. For overall excellent health: Numerous studies show strong links between a vegan diet and improved bone health, weight control, thyroid function, blood pressure, cholesterol, longevity, and all-around great health.
6. For social justice/world hunger and thirst: We could grow 6 - 7 times more food per acre by growing plant-based foods than raising animals. Raising beef requires 100 times more water than raising soybeans or wheat.
7. For ethical/moral considerations: Many vegans find their lifestyle aligns with and supports their values about human and non-human suffering, care of our planet, and care of our own bodies. Gandhi famously said: "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." OR "You can judge the morality of a nation by the way the society treats its animals."
8. For athletic excellence: "Many [ultra athletes] choose a plant-based diet because it allows them to most effectively train and perform…Scott Jurek is one of the most dominant ultra-marathoners to ever live…" (Matt Frazier, No Meat Athlete)
9. For lightness of being: Ellen DeGeneres and many others report that the transition to vegan food leaves them feeling lighter, with more sustained energy and a better mood.
10.For lightness of spirit: Most spiritual and religious devotees belief that a diet without animal products allows a clearer connection with Spirit or God.